We’re all aware that exercising regularly is necessary when it comes to living life. We’re also aware that finding motivation, time, the drive, etc. to get to the gym or workout at home is sometimes hard to find. That’s when we need just a little bit of a push. Whether you like to lift weights, run, swim, or workout at home, just getting up and moving can vastly improve your life. So I’ve put together a little list of facts about exercising that just MIGHT get you up off that couch and moving. I will be starting my Monday off with a good leg workout, like always!
- Your muscles have memory cells. Doing the same thing over and over can end up stalling your progress. Make sure you’re switching things up from time to time to wake those muscles up and give them a jolt!
- Music can quicken your pace. It helps keep you distracted and the beat gets you moving. Obvs don’t listen to a slow love song. Turn on some upbeat, fun music and get to gettin!
- HIIT can be just as effective as a longer workout. Sometimes we just don’t have time to be at the gym for an hour or more. That’s where my good friend, HIIT, comes in to play. High-Intensity Interval Training can get your heart rate up fast and give you the same results you may get from a longer workout. It’s also been shown to burn more calories AFTER you’re done working out. Yes plzzzzz.
- After you exercise, your body produces more antibodies, which means you are less likely to get sick. Guys, I am ALWAYS sick. So I’m not the perfect example, obviously, but for normal people that aren’t me, exercising helps keep those colds at bay.
- You cannot target areas of your body. Again, YOU CANNOT TARGET CERTAIN AREAS TO LOSE WEIGHT. Your body will lose weight where it wants to lose weight, most of the time being where you gained it last. So when some people say they gain weight in their boobs or butt more than their stomach, but you gain weight in your stomach before you gain weight in your boobs or butt, you’re all going to lose weight the same way. Trying to target a certain area will NOT make you lose weight in only that area. Sorry boutcha.
- Exercise improves brain power by creating new brain cells which makes for a more productive day. That’s why people who work out in the morning are shown to be more productive throughout the day. If only I could drag my self out of bed early….
- More muscle mass means burning more fat while resting. Did ya know, a pound of muscle burns 3x more calories than a pound of fat? It’s the truth. So adding muscle by lifting weights will actually help you burn more fat. Fun, right?
- Exercise boosts your self-confidence. Why do you think I’m always taking gym selfies? It’s because during my workout my body is releasing endorphins. Which triggers a positive feeling in the body, which makes me in a better mood, which makes me think I’m looking good, which makes me take those pictures. NOW YOU ALL KNOW.
- Exercise makes you age slower. It’s been shown to lengthen lifespan by as much as 5 years. I mean, if that’s not reason enough to exercise, I don’t know what is.
- It makes your skin look better. When blood flows to the skin, it delivers oxygen and nutrients that can improve the look and feel of your skin. After you wash the sweat off, of course.
- Exercise gets rid of stress. It elevates your mood and can help with depression. Back to those endorphins, I was just talking about. Endorphins interact with the receptors in your brain and reduce your perception of pain, physical or mental. This helps reduce stress and gives you a positive outlook on life! Physical and mental benefits all in one!
So there ya have it. Maybe you knew these facts, maybe ya didn’t. I don’t know. All I know is I hope they help you get up and move a little more today than you did yesterday! Are there any other fun facts you know about exercising that I didn’t list? Let me know below!